Farmers Market Friends travels to markets around the world to discover the most delicious goods and creative makers. We’re sharing recipes and direct advice from the growers and makers themselves to inspire your culinary curiosities. Happy cooking!
Farmers Market Recipe by The Real Dill (Denver, Colorado)
1 pt. water
1 pt. white wine vinegar (or vinegar of choice)
3 oz. pickling salt
1 oz. cane sugar
1 T. black peppercorn
1 T. coriander seed
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
10 raw garlic cloves, peeled
1 lb. dill, fresh
3 lb. pickling cucumbers
3 mason jars
– Combine water, white wine vinegar (or any type you like), cane sugar, and pickling salt in a pot. Add black peppercorn, coriander seed, and crushed red pepper flakes (and any other spices you like) to the pot and bring to a boil. Once the contents are boiling, turn off the heat and let the liquid steam for 45-60 min.
– While the brine is steaming, trim off the blossom end of the cucumbers and slice into spears (or experiment with any fruit or vegetable. We love using carrots, cauliflower, green beans, and onions.)
– Once the brine is done steaming, strain out the spices from the pot and reserve. Bring the brine to a boil again.
– Divide the reserved spices, dill (or any other herbs) and garlic into even amounts and place into jars. We also recommend adding red onion, green onion, cilantro, sage, jalapeño or chile peppers. Next, pack the jars with the vegetables so that there isn’t much space between them. Pour the hot brine into the jars within 1/2-inch from the top. Gently tap the jars on a counter to release any air bubbles. Cap the jars as tight as possible, and let them cool. Place jars in the refrigerator for 48 hours. For a more developed flavor, let the jars sit for longer.
* Best enjoyed after a week or two of pickling time. These must be refrigerated!
– Don’t be afraid to experiment with different vinegars, sweeteners, spices, herbs, and vegetables. This is just a basic recipe guide that you can transform.
At The Real Dill, we’re relentlessly committed to
making the absolute best products of their kind, and when it comes to quality, we make no compromises. Our quirky pickle treats are made with an obsessive attention to detail and the freshest ingredients that you’d find in your pantry or garden. We proudly handcraft all of our products in small batches from scratch, in Denver, Colorado, with care intention and love. We’re a zero food waste company, recognized by the city of Denver and State of Colorado as a Certifiably Green Business and a Silver member of the Environmental Leadership Program.
Social Media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
Thank you for visiting Farmers Market Friends, the the online farmers market hub. We travel the country (and world!) in search of farmers markets to meet the growers and makers, so we can share their stories and products with you on our marketplace and blog. Please follow our journey! @farmers_market_friends on Instagram. And sign up for our newsletter below!
See our blog page to see more of our farmers market discoveries from across the USA. And if you’re interested in purchasing products from these makers, check out our online farmers marketplace that sources unique goods from growers and food crafters located all across the country.
Photos courtesy of The Real Dill