Warmer weather is coming and so are the peaches 🍑! We can’t resist juicy peaches in the summertime. If you love peaches too, check out some fun facts about these fuzzy fruits (and their not so fuzzy relatives).
- Peaches are the state fruit of both Georgia and South Carolina.
- Peaches are a member of the rose 🌹family, along with plums, apples 🍏, and pears 🍐.
- In the United States, August is “National Peach Month!”
We love eating peaches most ways, and some of our favorites are fresh and baked in fried peach pies. For some fun ideas of ways to use peaches, check out Taste of Home’s Recipes to Make with Fresh Peaches.
But what about those not so fuzzy nectarines? How are those different from peaches?
- Nectarines are indeed the same species as peaches, and it is thought that a gene variant causes the fuzz vs. no fuzz, differentiating a peach from a nectarine.
- Nectarines have been called “shaved peaches” because of the lack of fuzz on their skin.
- Nectarine means “sweet as nectar,” likely referring to the fruits deliciously sweet flavor.
Thank you for visiting Farmers Market Friends, the the online farmers market hub. We travel the country (and world!) in search of farmers markets to meet the growers and makers, so we can share their stories and products with you on our marketplace and blog. Please follow our journey! @farmers_market_friends on Instagram. And sign up for our newsletter below!
See our blog page to see more of our farmers market discoveries from across the USA. And if you’re interested in purchasing products from these makers, check out our online farmers marketplace that sources unique goods from growers and food crafters located all across the country.